This is a great addition to crackers, in burgers, sandwiches, wraps and even on a cheese or antipasto platter. Original recipe found here: www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10521487
Author: Oakley's Premium Fresh Vegetables
Recipe type: Other
Serves: 4+ Cups
- 1.25kg beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp cracked black pepper
- ½ tsp table salt
- Place the grated beetroot, onion, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, sugar, pepper and salt in a large saucepan over medium heat and stir until the sugar is dissolved. The longer you cook this, the drier it becomes when bottled so cook it depending on you preference in consistency.
- Bring to the boil and cook for 30 minutes or until reduced and syrupy. Carefully spoon the hot relish into sterilised jars*. Once cooled, you will hear a 'pop' letting you know that your jars are sealed.
*To sterilise jars, place washed and cleaned lids in pot of boiling water and jars in the oven upside down on a tray for 15min at 200°. When spooning relish into jars and sealing shut, use tea towels or oven mitts as both will be hot.