Cheesy Chook Potato Poutine
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Author||Serves|
|15 minutes||40 minutes||55 minutes||Samantha Parish||Four|
“It makes sense that the creme de la creme of potatoes is coming from our beautiful neck of the woods – enter Oakley’s potatoes from Southbridge. This family-run farm is producing some of the country’s most exciting and delicious produce, and their potatoes are out-of-this-world DELISH. Washed and ready to be chopped, steamed, mashed, roasted, boiled and fried straight from the supermarket bag. Oakley’s potatoes are an all-rounder variety, meaning they can be used in limitless ways and not cornered into the mash-only realm of a floury spud. These buttery beauties are also a great source of vitamin C and potassium so we are ticking nutrition boxes too! I loved writing these recipes and I am hoping they inspire you to look at potatoes not just as a classic go-to side, but something that can truly dazzle as the main event.”
Extract from the February/March 2021 Latitude Magazine by Samantha Parish
1 kg Oakley’s Classic Golden Gourmet potatoes, cut using a crinkle cutter or into wedges
1⁄4 cup (60 ml) vegetable oil
25 g butter
4 green shallots, white part finely
chopped, green part thinly sliced 150 g mushrooms, thinly sliced
1 tbsp chopped lemon thyme, plus
extra sprigs to serve
2 tbsp plain flour
2 cups (300 g) shredded BBQ chicken 2 cups (500 ml) chicken stock
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
100 g red cheddar, coarsely grated pickles to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Toss potatoes, oil and 1 teaspoon each salt and cracked pepper in a bowl. Transfer to lined tray and roast for 40 minutes or until golden.
- Meanwhile, heat butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add white shallot, lemon thyme and mushrooms and cook for 3–4 minutes or until beginning to turn golden. Add flour and stir to coat in mixture. Cook for one minute to cook out slightly.
- Add chicken, stock and Worcestershire sauce and stir to combine. Bring mixture to a boil and cook, stirring regularly, for 5 minutes or until reduced and thickened.
- Remove potato from oven and pour over the chicken gravy. Scatter with cheese and return to the top of the oven for 10 minutes or until bubbling and melted.
- Serve hot scattered with green shallots and thyme sprigs with pickles alongside for adding as you go. DIVE IN – trust me, it’s hard not to!
This recipe was created, styled and shot by the wonderful Samantha Parish and published in the February/March 2021 volume of Latitude Magazine.
Check out Sam’s work here: https://www.mofmof.space/about
Check out Latitude Magazine here: https://www.latitudemagazine.co.nz/
Sorry, we couldn't find any posts. Please try a different search.