Roasted Garlic Mashed Spuds
|6 people (as a side)
2 heads of garlic
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1.5kg Oakley’s Classic Golden Gourmet Potatoes
3 Tbsp butter (can substitute for margarine)
3 sprigs of thyme (or 2 Tbsp dried)
3 bay leaves
1 cup milk (can substitute for plant-based milk)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celsius fan bake.
- Peel the outer layers off the garlic heads. Slice off the top to reveal the heads and place on a sheet of aluminium foil. Drizzle with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap in the foil and bake for 40 minutes, or until tender and golden.
- While this cooks, half the potatoes and boil in generously salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork-tender.
- Drain the potatoes and allow them to steam off for 5 minutes.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over low heat until melted. Add the bay leaves and thyme, simmering for 5 minutes. Once the butter has become golden brown, remove the bay leaves.
- Remove the garlic from the oven. Squeeze the golden garlic out of the bulb into the saucepan and add the potatoes and milk. Mash to combine. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Top with a swirl of olive oil and any additional fresh herbs on hand. Serves well with slow-cooked meat, sausages or as the topping on a sheppards pie.