Spanish Tortilla with Purple Heart Potatoes
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Author||Serves|
|10 minutes||30 minutes||40 minutes||Samantha Coutts/Parish||6-8 people|
“This Spanish Tortilla using Oakley’s Trio of Gourmets can be served breakfast lunch or dinner, is perfect for sharing and is a great centrepiece at your Christmas table. The layers of soft potato slices spiked with cumin seeds and chilli flakes makes for a truly unique dish. Leftovers are also perfect on toast with smashed avocado. A different way to pay tribute to the humble spud, that I’m sure we can all get behind!”
Founder Robin Oakley has been passionate about growing vegetables since he was a young boy. He grew up in rural Canterbury inspired by growers such as his father and grandfather. He founded the company in 1985 with the vision of providing the freshest products to his customers. His commitment to quality from crop to supermarket has been his mission.
In 2021, Oakley’s vegetables are enjoyed across New Zealand by kiwi families. Oakley’s are located in Southbridge with a diverse team committed to providing New Zealand with their favourite vegetables. Oakley’s works alongside the community and encourages an active lifestyle whilst giving back to the locals.
800g Oakley’s Trio of Gourmet’s potatoes, sliced 2mm thick
¼ cup (60ml) extra virgin olive oil
1 brown onion, thinly sliced
3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
2 tsp cumin seeds
¾ cup (180ml) sunflower oil
1 red capsicum, sliced
1 tsp chilli pepper flakes
¼ cup capers
Juice of ½ a Lemon, plus wedges to serve
2tbs finely chopped Parsley
Finely grated parmesan and oregano sprigs to serve
- Soak potatoes in water for 15 minutes to remove excess starch. Drain and dry off.
- Heat olive oil in a 22-25cm non-stick frypan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, for 3-4 minutes or until garlic turns golden. Add potatoes and sunflower oil and bring to a simmer. Cook, turning potatoes frequently, for 15 minutes or until spuds are tender and break apart easily. Strain into a heat-proof bowl, reserving oil.
- Add chilli flakes to reserved oil and stand to steep.
- Return pan high to heat with 2tbs reserved oil and add capsicum. Cook, tossing, for 4 minutes or until softened slightly. Add to bowl with potatoes.
- Pour eggs over potato mixture and stand for 10 minutes to soak.
- Return pan to medium heat with a further 2tbs of oil and heat for 1-2 minutes or until just smoking. Add potato egg mixture to pan and cook, without touching, for 2 minutes. Ease the edges with a spatula to move the uncooked egg around the edges and cook, repeating where necessary, for 5 minutes. Use a large plate to invert tortilla then return to pan. Cook the other side of the tortilla for a further 3-4 minutes or until cooked through and firm to touch.
- Transfer to a serving plate and slice to reveal potato layers.
- Combine, capers, lemon juice, parsley and ½ cup reserved oil in a bowl and season to taste. Spoon over sliced tortilla and scatter with parmesan and oregano to serve.
*any remaining oil can be kept and used for your next tortilla