Zesty Beetroot and Chocolate Cake
|Prep Time||Cook Time||Total Time||Author||Serves|
|20 minutes||30 minutes||50 minutes||Oakley's Vegetables||10 slices|
Luscious chocolate, zesty orange and… beetroot?
You heard that right! Beetroot is a fantastic ingredient for a high-fibre, antioxidant cake. Layer with a creamy ganache and you won’t even notice it’s there.
This gluten-free recipe can be made dairy free by replacing the butter with coconut oil and cream with coconut cream. Did you know that coconut oil has a similar biochemical makeup as butter, both high in saturated fat? This makes it the perfect plant-based substitute!
Taste it for yourself with our recipe below.
You can buy Oakley’s Beetroot at select New World’s nationwide.
300 grams Oakley’s Beetroot
¼ cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups ground almonds
¾ cup desiccated coconut
3½ Tbsp good quality cacao powder
1 tsp baking powder
170g good quality dark chocolate
2/3 cup cream
Orange zest, to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees fan bake. Line and grease 2x medium cake tins.
- Dice and boil the beetroot for 15 minutes, or until fork tender. Drain and leave to steam for five minutes. Whizz up with a hand mixer or with some leftover boiling water in the blender.
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a saucepan until browned (around 3 minutes). Add the brown sugar and heat for a further minute until combined and almost bubbling. Add along with the vanilla to the beetroot.
- Add the coconut, zest, almonds, cocoa, baking powder and eggs. Combine until smooth.
- Pour into the cake tins, tap on the countertop to remove any air bubbles and heat for 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Prepare the ganache by double boiling the butter and chocolate until melted and combined. Leave to cool for 10/15 minutes in the fridge. Ice between the two layers and on the top of the cake. Top with the orange zest. Serve with greek yoghurt or cream. Keeps for up to a week in an airtight container, preferably in the fridge.